Thursday, May 16, 2013

42.) What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones


“You're thinking I'm a hopelessly romantic idiot.
And you know what?
You're right.”


What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones
(What My Mother Doesn't Know, Book 1)


Genre: Poetry, General Fiction, Realistic Teen Life, Series

Honors: South Carolina Book Award Nominee for Young Adult Book Award (2004), Michigan Library Association Thumbs Up! Award Nominee (2002), Iowa Teen Award (2006), ALA Best Books for Young Adults. for Young Adults (2002), ALA Top Ten Quick Pick for Reluctant Young Adult Readers (2002) [Honors Information found at Goodreads.com]

Review: Told completely in a collection of poems, this book tells a Sophie's story of her first love, her friends, and finally the unlikely boy she ends up falling for. 


Opinion: I enjoyed reading this book, and didn't have a problem reading the poems. I'm not sure if it was an effective poetry book though, I mean some of the poems were rather silly, but honestly a majority of poems written by teens are probably pretty silly. So if you look at it that way it is a very realistic look at a teens life. 

Ideas: I would recommend this book to any teen who likes poetry, or any teen who like realistic fiction that is just the girl likes boy kind. If a teen is studying poetry I might recommend this book to them, but I might first try to get them to read some more deep and well written poetry like Sylvia Plath.

No comments:

Post a Comment