Wednesday, May 15, 2013

36.) House of Dead Maids by Clare Dunkle


"At no time in my life had I been in greater danger from the elements, and yet if I learned that heaven is such as that night was, I should deem it a joy worth the dying.”

The House of Dead Maids by Clare Dunkle ( Henry Holt and Co, 2010)

Genre: Horror, Historical

Honors: None found

Review: Tabby is a new maid at Seldom House, and becomes a caregiver to the new young master of the mansion. She tries to befriend the boy, but she soon realizes that the mansion is haunted by ghost of previous maids. Her friendship turns to being his protector as she tries to flee with him from the house and the village which is trying to kill them both. 


Opinion: This was the only book that I just grabbed because the cover was very creepy looking. I was desperate for another horror novel. It could have been a lot creepier, but since even the main character was not all that afraid of the ghost they were not very frightening until the end when they continued to haunt her throughout her life. I didn't read the synopsis the entire way through so I didn't know this was supposed to be some sort of prelude to Wuthering Heights which I have never had the chance to read, but when she began discussing her new charges the Brontes it was a pleasant surprise. I would like to know if the Bronte sisters has a maid that told them ghost stories, because that would be a very cool plot point.


Ideas:  I would recommend this to anyone who likes the Bronte sisters or Wuthering Heights. I would also recommend this book to a teen who likes historical fiction, or ghost stories, but this was not really horror as I was hoping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment